Chinese Language Proficiency Testing: HSK/HSKK/YCT
The HSK/HSKK/YCT tests are internationally recognized and approved by North Carolina Department of Public Instruction as external exams for Global Languages Endorsement on diplomas. They provide benefits in the following areas:
- Accountability: providing program outcome data for grantor, parents, school board, and other stake holders
- Education: providing feedback on student language skills, curriculum and instructional design; earning Global Languages Endorsement on diplomas in NC; building college application strength; meeting the requirement for study abroad in China
- Economics/Finance: earning scholarships for study abroad in China; standing out on international business job applications
The HSK is an internationally standardized test that assesses Chinese-language proficiency for nonnative Chinese-language learners. HSK is offered regularly throughout the year and can be used as a reference point for colleges, scholarships, and employers. Go Global NC is thrilled to offer HSK testing in the fall and spring each year. The HSK is divided into 6 levels:
- HSK Level 1: For learners who are able to use simple sentences and characters. They are able to meet basic needs for communication and are ready to further their Chinese studies. The exam includes a listening and reading section. (40 minutes) Sample Exam
- HSK Level 2: For learners who have a strong understanding of basic Chinese. They can communicate simply and directly in routine matters. The exam includes a listening and reading section. (55 minutes) Sample Exam
- HSK Level 3: For learners who are beginner-intermediate and can use Chinese effectively in their personal lives, studies, and work. They should be capable of most required communication for visiting a Chinese-speaking country. The exam includes a listening, reading, and writing section. (90 minutes) Sample Exam, Sample Listening Test
- HSK Level 4: For learners at the intermediate level that are able to discuss a decently wide range of topics in Chinese. They should be able to communicate with fluent speakers at a high standard. The exam includes a listening, reading, and writing section. (105 minutes) Sample Exam, Sample Listening Test
- HSK Level 5: For learners who are able to read newspapers and magazines and watch films in Chinese. They should also be able to present a long speech in Chinese. The exam includes a listening, reading, and writing sections. (120min) Sample Exam
- HSK Level 6: For learners able to understand any information communicated in Chinese and able to clearly communicate in oral and written form. The exam includes a listening, reading, and writing section. (135 min) Sample Exam
Purpose of the HSK:
- Scores may be referenced by an educational institution for recruitment, scholarships, class placement, and admissions
- Scores allow measurement to assess student language and progression
- Employers may reference scores for decisions on hiring, training, and promotions
- Used by learners for personal assessment of Chinese proficiency
What is the YCT (Youth Chinese Test)?
The YCT was started as an effort to encourage young nonnative Chinese language learners to progress in their Chinese language proficiency. It is meant to assess learner’s ability to use Chinese in their daily lives and studies. The YCT is divided into 4 levels:
- YCT Level 1: Learners should be able to understand and use basic Chinese sentences and phrases. They should be ready to continue their studies of Chinese language. The exam includes a listening and reading section. (30 minutes) Sample Exam
- YCT Level 2: Learners taking the YCT level 2 should be proficient in basic phrases and sentences. The exam includes a listening and reading section. (45 minutes) Sample Exam
- YCT Level 3: Learners should be able to communicate in Chinese simply and directly. They will be able to apply it in basic conversation. The exam includes a listening and reading section. (55 minutes) Sample Exam
- YCT Level 4: Learners should be able to use Chinese to meet demands of their daily lives. They should be able to meet most communicative needs on a visit to China. The exam includes a listening and reading section. (80 minutes) Sample Exam
Purpose of the YCT:
- Allows Chinese language learners to personally assess their Chinese proficiency
- Reference for schools to assess Chinese levels and proficiency
- Reference for training organizations to measure training results
- Assessment for students wanting to participate in the HSK
HSKK & YCT Speaking Tests
- HSKK is a test for speaking. It is split into three levels: HSKK (Basic), HSKK (Intermediate), and HSKK (Advanced). The candidate’s on-site performance will be recorded for scoring. The three levels of the test include different types of listening and responding to questions as well as a reading section on the advanced level.
- The YCT speaking test has two levels and is also a test for speaking. The candidate’s on-site performance will still be recorded for scoring.
*Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
**American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
For information about the next YCT, YCT Speaking, HSK, and HSKK testing dates please contact one of the following Go Global NC staff members by email:
Dr. June Chen, Associate Director of World Language Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Rachel Rosenbaum, Program Manager for Education and Training at email@example.com.
What do I need to do to start Chinese language proficiency testing?
- Each participating school will need to have at least one certified proctor. This is done by completing an online exam that is good for five years after passing. Go Global NC offers an online prep via webinar for this exam for a fee. (Please see Fees/Payment section)
- Identify the testing dates that work best for your school: fall, spring, or both depending on your school’s needs.
- Schools should then complete the purchase order form by clicking here or in the Fees/Payment section below. After completing the form, please email it to Rachel Rosenbaum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interested schools can contact Rachel Rosenbaum (email@example.com) or June Chen (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any more questions.
YCT Level 1: $10
YCT Level 2: $15
YCT Level 3: $20
YCT Level 4: $25
HSK Level 1: $20
HSK Level 2: $30
HSK Level 3: $40
HSK Level 4: $50
HSK Level 5: $60
HSK Level 6: $70
YCT Speaking Beginner: $15
YCT Speaking Intermediate: $15
HSKK Beginner: $20
HSKK Intermediate: $30
HSKK Advanced: $40
Test Administrator and Proctor Certification Training and Exam: $125
Registration and Payment Instructions:
Send a completed purchase order by the indicated purchase order deadline to email@example.com. Only items indicated on purchase order will be ordered. After test orders have been placed you will receive an invoice requesting payment.
Fees/orders are NON-REFUNDABLE orders may not be changed after the purchase order deadline.
- Confucius Classrooms may use their Confucius Classroom grants to pay for testing.
- Go Global NC will complete the registration and mailing of all testing materials to schools.
- Schools will be responsible for sending completed tests back to Go Global NC to send to China for rating. Go Global NC will then provide each school with a summary report and individual students score reports.
- Participating students will receive award certificates from Go Global NC and official score reports with feedback on their language skills.
- Go Global NC staff will reach out to teachers who order Test Administrator and Proctor Certification to set up training dates and times. This certification is good for five years and certifies a Chinese teacher to administer YCT/HSK/HSKK tests.